Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Silver Chair


I just finished reading this book. I read it before, maybe 5 years ago or so but I must say
I have never liked it all that much. Maybe it was because they spend part of the book underground
(I dislike caves) or that none of the Pevensies were in it.
But as I read it this time I noticed so many things about
the characters and setting that I had forgotten or overlooked. 
C. S. Lewis knew how to create real characters who one loves and feels deeply for. 
All the characters are human. They aren't super heros. 
They are normal people who argue and fail. But they also have courage and kindness.
Throughout their travels they meet dangers but they keep on; they don't give up.
My favorite character is Puddleglum the Marsh-wiggle.
He is a pessimistic fellow but he has such courage. And though he is not jolly he does add a bit of  humor with all his gloomy views.
As Jill says at the end 
"Puddleglum! You're a regular old humbug. You sound as doleful as a funeral and I believe you're perfectly happy. And you talk as if you were afraid of everything, when you're really as brave as- as a lion."
 This book has a slightly different feel to it then the other preceding books 
however I can't quite put my finger on what it is. 
In a way it is sad.
The Silver Chair starts the end of Narnia.
There is only one book, The Last Battle left.
Caspian and the other characters from previous adventuress are old and dying or dead. 
None of the Pevensies will return to Narnia till the end of time.
Never again will there be an adventure that the children will return home from.
But I guess everything must end.
Except. . . 
there is always Aslan.
He continues forever. 
And so does His beautiful country.  

No comments:

Post a Comment